I know we all have that chocolate craving at some point, right?! It can be so hard to try to avoid it. It’s something we have such a hard time turning down. Sometimes I’ll try not to have any chocolate around the house so that I can’t cave since there is nothing around. If you have a hard time trying to kick the craving and have something else, then you may love some of these alternatives. I’ve got some great alternatives to chocolate that you can try that can help with those chocolate cravings.
- Dark Chocolate (At least 70% cacao)- This is not really an alternative to chocolate, but it’s better for you. If you just can’t put that chocolate down, at least go for the dark chocolate. This is overall much better than other chocolates. Just make sure to still watch the calories. I wouldn’t go over 100 calories of dark chocolate.
- Frozen Chocolate Covered Banana- You can cut up some bananas and dip them in dark chocolate. Then you want to freeze the bananas. I recommend cutting the bananas in half for this.
- Fresh Fruit- This is one of the healthiest options. Fruits do contain some sugars that should help with those cravings. This is my personal favorite choice. I love fruit!
- Frozen Yogurts- You can find a lot of great frozen yogurts at many stores. Choose those that are 100 calories or less. Also make sure to check for the low-fat ones if they have any.
- Cocoa Powder- Try adding cocoa powder to some of your drinks or foods. You’ll get that chocolate taste that can help with your cravings. You can use this for things like smoothies, shakes, snacks, yogurt and more.
- Nuts- These are great for you and usually are high in protein. Walnuts and almonds are a great choice.
- Protein Shakes- Find a great protein powder and use skim or soy milk. You can add in all kinds of items with these protein shakes. Have a plain chocolate one or add in some berries.
- Protein Bars- You can find all kinds of chocolate protein bars. These are great for getting your protein in and they can help with those chocolate cravings.
- Chocolate Soy Milk- Chocolate milk is a great choice, just make sure you’re careful on which one you choose. You want to choose something like soymilk that is low in fat.
- Carob- This is a lot sweeter than chocolate, but it’s also much better for you then chocolate.
- Pudding- You can make your own pudding or buy store-bought. Usually the store-bought ones are less than 100 calories per cup. If you can find some low-fat ones, grab those instead.
- Chocolate Dipped Strawberries- (or any fruit) Fruit dipped in chocolate is always amazing. You will want to use a dark chocolate for this. You don’t have to use just strawberries either. Other great choices can include pineapple or bananas.
- Smoothie- This is another great choice that I would recommend next to eating fresh fruit. You can put those fresh fruits in a blender and make an amazing smoothie.
- Hot Chocolate (soy)- Sip on some hot chocolate when you get the craving for chocolate. For the milk you should use soy or low-fat milk.
These are all great choices for when you want to find something healthier than chocolate. We all know that chocolate isn’t really good for us, so I hope that you can try some of these other options out. You may be surprised at some of the ones you actually like.
Have you tried any of these options? Did it help with your cravings?